Sunday, October 21, 2018

Picture Book Review: Who Eats Orange? by Dianne White, illustrations by Robin Page

Cover image of Who Eats Orange? by Dianne White, illustrated by Robin Page
Who Eats Orange?

Colorful illustrations, rhyming text, a question and answer format—in Who Eats Orange?, a novel question is the basis for an excellent STEM readaloud. White's rhyming text easily flows from one color to another, inviting conversation around the text. A picture of a gorilla eating wild garlic, for example, answers the question, "Who eats green?" and immediately asks the question, "Who else eats green?" 
Green gorilla and giraffe spread of Who Eats Orange?
The next pages answer, "Giraffes in savannas do. Zebras. Hippos. Grunts too."
Zebra and hippo spread of Who Eats Orange?
But do grunts really eat green? "No! Grunt's don't eat green. They eat...red." This pattern continues throughout the story, introducing more animals and the foods they eat. Page's illustrations on a white background vividly depict the animals while showcasing vibrant papers and digital art techniques. The crosshatching on raccoon's face, fuzzy fur on fox's body, and marbled paint effect on finch's feathers are just a few examples.
Yellow turkey and raccoon spread of Who Eats Orange?

Fox and finch spread of Who Eats Orange?
The story concludes by moving from the animals to humans, asking if "maybe you" eat purple. "Why, yes, I do!" answers a page showing a child's hand reaching into a bowl of blueberries. The final spread depicts a colorful assortment of foods someone "just like you" might eat. 
Eat a rainbow spread of Who Eats Orange?
Two pages of back matter contain more detailed information for adults and children to further explore. The animals and food shown in the illustrations are bolded, and italicized terms are defined in the text. Who Eats Orange? is an eye-catching, entertaining introduction to colors, animals, and eating habits. 

Source: Library Copy

Further Reading:
Readalikes:
Curriculum Connections:

4 comments:

  1. What a fun book. This title would have definitely been a read-aloud in my preschool classroom. I see this as a fun read aloud to toddlers in the library. It reminded my of Lois Ehlert's "Eating the Alphabet." I see a color theme with your blog posts, and I love it. The activity kit is a nice addition. I think you own children would love these activities and this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really drawn to color, aren't I? I guess that goes along with the colored spaghetti background of the blog :)

      Delete
  2. I love the color in the blog, but also the book. The artwork is bold and great for catching a childs eye. This seems like a perfect storytime book and I can see all the different coloring sheets and crafts that could go along with it. The flow from one color to another is also really well done. That's something that you don't always get with books like this, so I really appreciate that fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, I agree that this would be a great storytime book. I thought the rhymes flowed naturally when reading it aloud, and I appreciated the "They eat..." text on one page and the color named on the next page, where you can actually see the color. It annoys me to no end that "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" has the reader say what the animal is before you see an illustration of it--not that I read it that way. It's such a missed opportunity for audience participation because of a flawed book design, and I was glad White and Page got it right ;)

      Delete